Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Out of the Village (for a bit)

I've been shuttling around a lot recently. I've been put on a new project - to bring internet to my village (I know, it's exciting!). To bring internet into my village requires me to talk to service providers who are located in Pune. Thus, I've been traveling back and forth from my village to Pune - and back again. It's been quite intense.

When I first arrived in Pune, I was elated. I saw people. Yes, my eyes were full of dirt, and probably my lungs as well, but I was temporarily in a state of happiness. It all quickly faded after I realized that I would have to wander around the city by myself. Up until that moment I had been with my director, so I had felt a relative sense of comfort since he knows Pune like this back of his hand and could negotiate with the unscrupulous rickshaw drivers. Roaming the city is crazy, to say the least. I'm in the area of the city which isn't as hip as one might think so most of the residents speak very little English - a situation I am becoming very used to. But it was a real eye-opener. I was glad that I was forced to do that.

I savor any chance I get on the internet. During this post, I updated myself with the horrid financial mess that is occurring in the States (I laugh everytime I hear the US referred to as the States, I dont know why). Hopefully it hasn't hit home for any of you. I will update later.

Comments:
are you posting your pics somewhere?

hope you are doing well, little one.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home