Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Pet Peeves

In the past (i.e. 3 - 4 months ago), I was able to multi-task with relative ease. I could do research, some work, checkup on topics of interest on Wikipedia, and gChat - all at the same time. Being in India has changed that all. Let me segue into the topic of discussion for today.

Remember back in elementary/junior/high school when teachers or others would ask you what your pet peeves were? Yeah, I don't either but I'm assuming you were asked at some point in your lifetime. Well, I never really had an answer to that question. I simply never knew what my pet peeves were. Maybe I was just that tolerant or maybe I just didn't really care but I could never answer that question without thinking really hard. I think I am finally able to answer that question with relative ease. So, without further ado, here are my pet peeves I have discovered as of lately.


  1. People rummaging through your personal belonging (and sometimes later telling you about it).

  2. People staring at you during your various activities. This can be broken down into separate parts.

    • while eating.

    • while on the phone. (mostly because I talk in English)

    • while walking around. (in Pune or the village)

  3. People looking over your back or sitting next to you while writing or on the computer (possibly chatting or typing up personal emails) or reading the newspaper. All of these never bothered me in the US but it seems to be really getting to me as of late.


So there you have it. My list of pet peeves. So if I am chatting with you on gChat and I seem somewhat distracted or non-responsive, it's most likely due to the fact that someone is watching what I am doing on my laptop or the internet has become disconnected (or both).

The good thing is that I'm at least learning some new things about myself here. I can't complain too much - I tend to laugh these things off at night.

Comments:
I miss watching you while you eat, talk on the phone and walk around..

I hope you are well!

-Jayant
 
oh chetan, i TOTALLY feel you. they seem like such little things and yet they can really make you want to rip your hair out in frustration. so glad you find a way to laugh at it by the end of the day!

but you are not at ALL alone in the pet peeves you're discovering by being in such a different culture. huge props for keeping such a positive attitude :)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home